Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Chocolate Cake is NOT the Enemy (aka The Scale Moved)

I feel it necessary to post again so soon after my last just to say, Praise be to God, the scale is stuck no more! I'm down a total of 12.2 pounds since the beginning of all of this, and am feeling great! Still have the sore back and am walking like a duck, but it's easier to do that on THIS side of the scale than the other.

I must confess that after I finished my workout last night, Sonic was calling my name, and I did purchase and eat the Sonic Molten Chocolate Banana Split Sundae Cake. Now, before all of my supporters roll their eyes and leave this blog forever, please hear me out. Before I ate said cake, I calculated the Weight Watchers Points for it (gone back to the WW method, it's easier to count to 42 than 2000) so I knew exactly how much damage I'd be doing. I had the points available without overdrawing my budget, so I went ahead. Also, as I was eating it, I asked myself after every bite, "Do I want more of this?" The answer was always yes, but I was extremely happy to be eating in the moment, and in control of what I put into my mouth. I enjoyed every bite of that chocolate disaster, and I must say, it was worth every STINKING one of the TWENTY points it took out of my allowance.

Admittedly, even though I didn't want there to be, there was a little bit of guilt about it, and I was a bit afraid of the scale this morning. However, L has gotten used to seeing me haul my chubby behind out of bed and straight onto the metal and glass torture device. It would have rocked his tiny little Type A world if I had changed this part of the morning routine, and I didn't want to leave my husband to deal with a fried toddler brain while I went skipping (more like staggering..it was 6:30AM) off to the gym. And what do you know? 273.8 - A new low!!! Woohoo!!!!

So, what have I learned from this? I've learned that the scale is not the most important thing. I've learned that chocolate cake (IN MODERATION) will not completely destroy my results, and eating it mindfully will actually kill a craving in record time. I've learned that going to the gym actually makes me feel better, and my body doesn't hurt anywhere near as much after I workout than if I don't.

I'm sure this isn't the last time I will be frustrated that this isn't going as well or as fast as I'd like it to, and so I think that God is also using this to continue his work on my patience. My goal is complete surrender to what I know is God-honoring in this (treating my body like His temple) and not focusing on any of the earthly stuff. I'm not there yet, but I pray that I can get there without another object lesson in a stubborn scale.

MR

No comments:

Post a Comment